Sharing your WiFi password from your phone is a much easier way to give a WiFi password to someone than reading it out or telling them to look at the bottom of a router. It is also handy for public WiFi, I was able to share a local pub WiFi password with my partner rather than having to ask a bar person what it is.
Sharing your WiFi password on an iPhone is a simple process that can be done in just a few steps. There are several ways to share your WiFi password with others, depending on the version of iOS your iPhone is running. Here's how to share your WiFi password on an iPhone:
- First, make sure that your iPhone is connected to the WiFi network that you want to share the password for.
- On your iPhone, open the “Settings” app.
- Tap on “WiFi”
- Tap on the “i” icon next to the name of the WiFi network you are connected to.
- If you are using iOS 11 or later, you will see a “Share Password” button. Tap on this button to share the password via AirDrop, Messages, or Mail.
- If you are using iOS 10 or earlier, you will see the password displayed under “Password”.
- You can use the share sheet to share the password via AirDrop, Messages, or Mail.
- If you want to share the password via QR code, you will need to install a third-party QR code reader app, you can use the camera to scan the QR code and connect to the WiFi network automatically.
It's worth noting that if you are having trouble sharing your WiFi password on an iPhone, make sure your iPhone is updated to the latest version of iOS. Additionally, make sure that AirDrop, Messages, or Mail is enabled on both the sending and receiving devices.
Another way to share WiFi password is through iCloud Keychain, if both devices are logged in with the same iCloud account, you can share the WiFi password without having to type it manually.
- On the device that is already connected to the WiFi network, go to “Settings” > “WiFi”
- Tap on the “i” icon next to the WiFi network you're connected to.
- Enable “Share My Connection”
Now the other device can go to “Settings” > “WiFi” and look for the WiFi network, it will show the “Connect” button instead of the usual password field, tap on connect and it will connect to the network.
With Android, things will vary between brands due to the way each brand customises the OS. As I write this, I have two phones in front of me, the Pixel 6 and the Honor 50. It is almost the same process.
- Make sure you are connected to the WiFi
- Go to settings
- Tap Network & Internet
- Tap Internet (it should show the WiFi network you are connected to)
- Tap the WiFi network you are connected to
- Tap share & you it should ask to verify via fingerprint
- It will then show both the QR code and password
For the Honor, it's very similar, but slightly easier:
- Go to Settings
- Tap WiFi
- Tap the network and it should show the QR code. However, it does not display the actual password