Qualcomm today announced its latest premium mobile platform, the Snapdragon 8 Gen 3, which will power the next generation of flagship Android smartphones. The new chipset packs impressive upgrades in AI, camera, gaming, audio and connectivity to deliver premium experiences on mobile devices.
Generative AI Takes Centre Stage
A key highlight of Snapdragon 8 Gen 3 is its focus on enabling on-device generative AI. Qualcomm designed the chip’s AI Engine specifically for generative workloads like text, voice and image generation.
This allows for exciting new use cases like personalised virtual assistants that can intelligently respond to users, and generate social media posts instantly using AI image generation models like stable diffusion.
Key AI Capabilities:
- First Snapdragon AI Engine supports large generative models up to 10 billion parameters running solely on-device, enabling speed and privacy benefits.
- Delivers up to 20 tokens per second on large language models, one of the fastest rates in the industry. This allows personal assistants to respond swiftly to voice queries.
- New Qualcomm Sensing Hub with dual AI accelerators brings on-device personalisation using data like user location, activities and fitness level to make responses more customised.
- Hexagon AI accelerator performance improved by up to 98% and 40% better efficiency compared to its predecessor.
Intelligent Camera powered by Leading AI
The integrated Spectra ISP brings overhauled camera capabilities, thanks to AI-powered features like:
- Real-time semantic segmentation for photo and video in up to 12 layers, bringing more detail and vibrancy.
- AI-powered tools like video object eraser, vlogger’s view, and photo expansion.
- Extreme low-light capture with Night Vision video recording.
- Up to 200MP image capture and advanced HDR capabilities.
Mobile gaming gets a boost with enhancements like:
- Hardware-accelerated ray tracing with global illumination, a first for mobile. This brings console-grade realism.
- Up to 240fps gaming on 240Hz displays for ultra-smooth performance.
- Snapdragon Game Super Resolution to upscale games to 8K resolution on external displays.
The upgraded Kryo CPU with new cores and Adreno GPU deliver up to 30% and 25% better performance, respectively, compared to the predecessor. This brings a speed boost to demanding tasks like gaming, streaming, photography and more.
Snapdragon Sound now features expanded personal area network technology for low latency lossless audio streaming as users move between rooms. Gamers will appreciate synchronized audio with ultra-low lag.
The integrated Snapdragon X75 5G modem, Wi-Fi 7 support, Bluetooth 5.4 and other wireless tech come together to enable advanced 5G, Wi-Fi and audio streaming experiences on the go.
First Devices Arriving Soon
Qualcomm stated that the first flagship Android smartphones featuring Snapdragon 8 Gen 3 are expected to be announced in the coming weeks. Major OEMs like ASUS, OnePlus, OPPO, Xiaomi, Honor, and more will launch devices powered by the new platform.
Key Improvements Over Predecessor
Compared to the previous Snapdragon 8 Gen 2, the new chipset brings substantial upgrades including:
- 30% better CPU performance
- 25% faster GPU
- Up to 98% improved AI accelerator performance
- 40% power efficiency gains
- 2.5x more AI processing power in modem for better 5G
- 30% faster natural language processing
With a heavy focus on generative AI, the Snapdragon 8 Gen 3 sets the stage for more personalised, intelligent experiences on next-gen Android flagships. From virtual assistants that can chat to you naturally to creative image and video generation tools, the possibilities are exciting.
Coupled with advancements in graphics, photography, audio and connectivity – the new platform promises significant improvements in performance and efficiency. As the first devices powered by Snapdragon 8 Gen 3 hit the market in the coming weeks, consumers can look forward to more powerful flagship smartphones in 2023.
I am James, a UK-based tech enthusiast and the creative mind behind Mighty Gadget, which I’ve proudly run since 2007. Passionate about all things technology, my expertise spans from computers and networking, to mobile, wearables, and smart home devices.
As a fitness fanatic who loves running and cycling, I also have a keen interest in fitness-related technology, and I take every opportunity to cover this niche on my blog. My diverse interests allow me to bring a unique perspective to tech blogging, merging lifestyle, fitness, and the latest tech trends.
In my academic pursuits, I earned a BSc in Information Systems Design from UCLAN, before advancing my learning with a Master’s Degree in Computing. This advanced study also included Cisco CCNA accreditation, further demonstrating my commitment to understanding and staying ahead of the technology curve.
I’m proud to share that Vuelio has consistently ranked Mighty Gadget as one of the top technology blogs in the UK. With my dedication to technology and drive to share my insights, I aim to continue providing my readers with engaging and informative content.