I have previously posted about the Garmin Forerunner 965 & FR265 product listings that went temporarily live on RunningXpert.
This is the start of the normal trend of leaks with Garmin, and we will inevitably find out a lot more about the two new watches in the upcoming days.
More details have emerged over the weekend. One website called 5undergolf briefly posted what appears to be images of both the watches. The image quality is not the best, and it appears the images are from a screenshot of a PDF. Perhaps they had some early marketing material and wanted to get a product page live for the launch date.
The page has been taken down, but it is still cached with Google
Garmin Forerunner 965 vs Garmin Forerunner 955 Differences
The page confirms a lot of what we already know. It is largely an update of the existing Forerunner 955 with an AMOLED display.
The new AMOLED display does mean the UI will change for the better by a lot. But the underlying functionality should be the same.
Garmin Forerunner 965 vs Garmin Forerunner 955 Battery
One interesting specification I noticed was that the battery is listed as having 23 days in Smartwatch Mode & up to 31 hours in GPS-Only mode. In comparison, the FR955 is 15 days and 42 hours.
That's a bit better than I would have expected. The Garmin Fenix 7 is listed as 18 days and 57 hours, while the Epix Gen 2 is 16 days and 42 hours.
The impressive 23 days will be a result of the screen turning off and this will drop dramatically with always on, so it will be interesting to see what the always on time will be.
Garmin Forerunner 965 Features Overview
The product listing information from the website is below. I noted the original text had some grammar and spelling errors beyond the Americanised spelling. Not that I am in a position to criticise spelling and grammar, but it is clear the text was written by someone rather than copied and pasted from any official marketing material. Therefore, I would still take the below with a pinch of salt.
This premium GPS running and triathlon smartwatch has a bright 1.4′ AMOLED touchscreen display and lightweight titanium bezel. Wake up to your morning report with HRV status to see health insights with an overview of sleep, recovery, and training outlook. Navigate routes confidently with mulit-band GPS and full-colour, built-in maps. With traditional buttons and a touchscreen display, it's easy to tap into your training status and know whether you're training productively, peaking or strained. If you're pushing to outshine the competition. The forerunner 965 is there to light up every run with 23 days of battery life in smartwatch mode.
- NEW AMOLED Display & Updated Design: Brilliant 1.4″ touchscreen display with traditional button controls – including a lightweight titanium bezel and dual-colour bands.
- Battery Life: Get up to 23 days in Smartwatch Mode & up to 31 hours in GPS-Only mode.
- Multisport Profiles: Switch between sports with a button press by using built-in profiles for triathlons, duathlons, brick workouts and swim runs -or customise your own multisport profiles.
- Built-In Maps: Run your course with more confidence with turn-by-turn directions using full-colour, built-in maps.
- Multi-Band GPS: Access multiple global satellite systems with SatlQ™ technology, providing superior positioning accuracy in challenging environments while also optimising battery life.
- Wrist-Based Running Dynamics: Advanced running dynamics, including running power, ground contact time balance, stride length and more. Use a compatible HRM or pod (sold separately) for even more accurate data.
- Training Readiness & More: Better determine if you're primed to get the most out of your workout with a score based on sleep quality, recovery, training load and HRV status. Receive guidance from features like Morning Report, Training Status, Acute Load, & Garmin Coach to monitor the progress of your performance and remain in tune with your body.
- Safety & Tracking Features: Incident detection (during select outdoor activities) and Assistance can send a message with your live location to emergency contacts when paired with your compatible smartphone; requires setup and your smartphone to be in an area with network coverage where data connectivity is available.
- Garmin Pay™ Contactless Payments: Leave your cash & cards at home and make checkout lines a breeze with Garmin Pay™ contactless payments with participating providers.
- Music on the Go: Download hours of music, with 8 GB of internal memory, including playlists from Spotify, Amazon Music or Deezer (subscription may be required), and connect with your wireless headphones for phone-free listening.