We all have information on our phone that we don’t want to reveal to strangers. These include not only letters or SMS messages, but also personal photos, contact phone numbers, locations, and information such as passwords or other sensitive information that allows you to log in to certain of your accounts. However, we often allow strangers to access this information freely on our phone, as we do not have any security measures in place to prevent them from doing so.
While there are many ways and means to protect your phone, this time we will focus on mobile software. The most important security apps can be divided into three parts. These are password managers, antivirus apps and VPNs. We will discuss each of them and make some specific recommendations that will make it easier to choose the app you want.
You may be wondering – what is it? Let’s start with the fact that most people’s data becomes easy bait for scammers because the passwords they use are just too simple. Also, most people use the same password to protect most of the accounts they use. On the one hand, it's convenient. On the other hand, hackers will already have access to all of your accounts after learning the password for one of your accounts. Therefore, it is strongly recommended that you use a different password for each account, consisting of numbers as well as numbers and special characters.
Understandably, with 10, 20 or even more accounts, remembering each unique password can be a real challenge. However, for those planning to write down this information or worse, saving it on their phone is not a good choice. In this case, it is recommended to choose password managers, which store your passwords securely.
If you think a password manager could be a great help for you in your daily life, consider choosing from these mobile apps:
· RoboForm makes it easy to access your unique passwords on your smartphone with just a few clicks. Sounds good, right? It offers free and paid plans. For only approximately $24 per year (or $48 per year which supports 1-5 users) you get an option to use this app with an unlimited number of devices and get an unlimited amount of storage as well. It is recommended for both – iOS and Android users.
· 1Password. That is the app which boasts to have 100,000 businesses as clients. This is a significant number to suggest that the services offered by 1Password are truly noteworthy. It gives an opportunity to use an unlimited number of devices and passwords as well. However, it gives only I GB for document storage. By the way, a 30-day free trial is offered for new customers, which can help you decide if the services provided by this app satisfy you or not.
· Nordpass. It is one of the most popular choices among password managers’ users because of the smooth experience it provides. Nordpass automatically saves and fills in the passwords and lets you not only save these but personal information such as notes or credit card information as well. This password manager also offers to choose from free or paid versions (the second one provides more features than the first one).
Mobile devices have been seen as absolutely safe from any cybersecurity threats. Nobody could imagine that one day mobile phones would be equally vulnerable as PCs. However, it can be seen today that hackers ’interest in the information contained in smartphones is steadily growing. And leaking personal data to a person often does a lot of damage.
Experts point out that this is very often the case due to the negligence of those who use the Internet themselves and the attempt to open every link sent without being sure of the security of the information sent by the sender.
It is recommended that you install an antivirus app on your mobile phone in order to avoid the pain of learning from such mistakes. Here are some antivirus apps that will protect your device from malware threats, Trojans, hacking, phishing, catfish and so on:
· Bitdefender. It is an app which provides a high level of virus protection which lets you chat safely in social networks and other websites as well as surf the Internet anonymously. Most professionals rate this app as the best and its popularity does not call that into question. It is worth mentioning that Bitdefender provides a 30-day money back guarantee for those who are not satisfied with its service.
· TotalAV is an award-winning antivirus app which not only protects your gadgets from viruses, spyware, trojans, ransomware, etc. but also has minimal impact on the performance of the system. It includes an extensive list of features Moreover, it features daily virus definition updates, provides with Safe Site browser extension and many more.
· Norton antivirus app is trusted by millions of people across the globe because of its high level of accuracy. What does it mean? It means that this app detects viruses, malware and other online and offline dangers without raising false flags. It also has high protection of your personal information including your usernames and passwords and in case you got into trouble, it helps you to recover from identity thieves.
Virtual Private Networks.
Virtual Private Networks or VPNs prevent others from seeing your activity online, no matter whether it is a hacker or your Internet service provider. In this way, VPN becomes a security feature that protects your personal information and prevents important data from leaking even when you are using a public WiFi network.
Using a VPN gives you access to websites that are blocked in your country. This means that game lovers can choose from a wider range of games and movie fans have access to more Netflix content. In addition, in some cases, it is possible to purchase the desired goods cheaper with the help of VPN. Furthermore, a VPN is needed for safety in torrenting. As you can change your location using your VPN, it can have a significant effect on the download speed and availability of the files you want in many countries.
Here are some recommended VPN providers which deserve to get a chance:
· Surfshark is called an absolute leader in the field of VPN services as it provides the lowest subscription price, access for unlimited number of devices, two-factor authentication and many more. Its users say that this app is easy to use and has a constantly growing list of countries they can choose from. Furthermore, its’ customers’ support and speed is also a thing that satisfies app users a lot.
· NordVPN offers to use more than 5400 servers all over the world and use VPN in 6 devices at the time. It gives a change for its users to use a combination of great speeds and encryption, which provides absolute security. Although this VPN is surpassing Surfshark in its benefits, it is rapidly gaining popularity due to the speed it provides.
· IPVanish. This Virtual Private Network provider is often seen as a great choice in the sphere of VPN services because of the advanced security settings it provides as well as the pool of more than 40,000 IP addresses in 57 countries all around the world. Some people see as an advantage flexible subscription plans as you can choose to pay for it monthly, quarterly or yearly. However, only those who choose the yearly plan may get a 30-day money back guarantee.