Xiaomi sub-brand Poco has just announced its latest Poco F4 GT. It is an incredibly well-specced phone that is geared toward keen Android gamers thanks to its magnetic pop-up shoulder triggers.
- Display: 6.67″ flat AMOLED DotDisplay, 120Hz refresh rate, 480Hz touch sampling
- Chipset: Snapdragon 8 Gen 1 Mobile Platform
- RAM: 8GB or 12GB
- Storage: 128GB or 256GB
- Rear Cameras: 64MP Sony IMX686, 8MP ultra-wide, 2MP macro
- Front Camera: 20MP IMX596
- Battery: 4700mAh
- Charging: 120W
- Features: Magnetic pop-up triggers
Poco F4 GT vs Black Shark 5 Pro
Last year's Poco F3 GT didn't make it to the UK, so I overlooked the new gaming triggers that were used on it.
As soon as I realised the Poco F4 GT had triggers, it sounded very similar to the other brand Xiaomi is related to, Black Shark.
Looking at the specs, there are a lot of similarities but also quite a few differences.
Looking at the Poco F4 GT and comparing it to both the standard Black Shark 5 and Pro model:
- All the phones have the same sized display and same resolution, but the Poco F4 GT has a slower refresh rate of 120Hz
- Even though all the phones used AMOLED displays, they all have side-mounted fingerprint scanners
- Dimensions are very similar, but the Poco is slightly less thick.
- Poco F4 GT and Black Shark 5 Pro share the same chipset, but the Black Shark 5 Pro has a base 256GB storage, it is also the first phone to combine UFS 3.1/NVMe SSD storage.
- The standard Black Shark 5 has a very similar camera spec as the Poco, but a larger 13MP ultra-wide lens. The Poco has a larger 20MP selfie camera than both Black Shark phones. The Black Shark 5 Pro has an impressive 108 MP Samsung sensor which is the first time a Black Shark phone has a high-quality camera.
- The battery is more or less the same on all three phones. The Poco has 4700 mAh and 120W charging, while the Black Shark models have 4650 mAh and 120W.
Price and Availability in the UK
The POCO F4 GT will come in three colours: Stealth Black, Knight Silver, and Cyber Yellow. It will also be available in two variants: 8GB+128GB and 12GB+256GB.
8GB + 128GB: Recommended retail price at €599 via official e-commerce channels.
12GB + 256GB: Recommended retail price at €699 via official e-commerce channels.
UK price and availability haven't been confirmed, but those prices work out as £503.52 and £587.51.
You can then save €100 if you buy either phone in during the early bird sale period from the 28th of April
I loved the shoulder triggers on the Black Shark 3 Pro, and I am glad to see them have a wider adoption with phones.
If you are not too bothered about having the best cameras on your phone, then the Poco F4 GT looks like an amazing choice for an affordable device. I am not overly confident it will see a global launch, but I hope it does.